Tuesday, May 18, 2010

What are calling cards?

Like, paper ones - not the pre-paid phone cards. I know they used to be used during the Civil War, like in Gone With the Wind, but how are they used nowadays?

What are calling cards?
As far as I understand they are used much in the same way they were back then: Leave a calling card with someone when you have dropped by and they weren't home (perhaps in a mailbox.) It was a polite way of offering personal information then, and still is.





I have thought of purchasing some just as a convenient way to offer my address and phone without having to write it out for new acquaintance. I think it is genteel and sweet.
Reply:like a business card but used for personal reasons. If you are visiting someone who was not at home you leave it, and it is also to give to a butler so they can announce your arrival


No comments:

Post a Comment